Meet the Candidates: Karl Nichols, South Bend Common Council District 1
The Committee to Unite District 1, has been working diligently to ensure that Karl Nichols is elected as the Common Council Member to represent District 1 on the City of South Bend. Having lived in the 1st District for 14 years, Karl realized it is time to ensure that EVERY resident of the district is engaged and served by their elected official. Karl has been a long-time servant to the community of South Bend. Karl believes that as an elected councilperson, his job is to be the liaison to the district for which he will be elected to serve. What does this mean?
As the Common Council member to represent District 1, Karl will:
- Host monthly meetings within the district to hear resident concerns
- Produce a quarterly e-newsletter to be distributed to District 1 residents to keep them in the know about city happenings.
- Commit to a 48-hour return call/email policy
- Be intentional about improving the ENTIRE district
- Intentionally promote community investment into areas of the district that have historically been ignored
- Include residents input in my decision making to ensure ALL voices are heard district-wide
Though nothing can fully prepare you for the awesome responsibility to serve people, here is a list of leadership positions Karl has held and currently holds:
- President of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated, an International Community Service Organization (currently held)
- President of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, an International umbrella organization to 9 community-service oriented organizations.
- Board Member of the Community Forum for Economic Justice
- CEO of Crescent Consulting, a locally-owned small business that provides training and technical assistance to other small businesses
- Elder and financial officer at Gethsemane Church of God, Inc
- Worked with he Indiana State Department of Health to bring over 2.1 million dollars of funding to South Bend to address Infant Mortality
Karl’s platform focuses on the following:
and affordable Housing
- Every member of our community should have the opportunity to live somewhere that is safe for them, their families and their neighbors.
- The definition of affordable differs for everyone. We must be able to engage all members of the community to hear what affordable looks like to them.
and Equitable Community Investment
- Downtown looks beautiful! Now it is the time to be intentional about addressing part of the city that have not seen any significant investment in several years.
- Ensure that there is equitable distribution of investment dollars to the parts of the city that need it the most.
Safety and Security
- Our neighborhoods become safer, when we begin to address the cause of the violence and crime.
- Addressing and impacting poverty, joblessness and health will decrease community frustration and lead to decreased violence and crime.
Show your support by:
- Voting for Karl on May 7th, 2019
- Knocking on Doors
- Making phone calls
- Placing yard sign in your yard
Please call Karl at 574-276-5842 to discuss his platform or visit www.nicholsfordistrict1.com.
Meet the Candidates is a series introducing candidates in their own words. South Bend Voice has offered to publish statements from all South Bend office seekers who are on the May 7th primary ballot. Statements are posted verbatim. Find out more about the candidates on the ballot at Vote411.org.
Comments are closed.