South Bend’s annual yard waste season begins next week starting on April 1. It runs through the end of November.
“The program offers weekly pickup of yard waste such as grass clippings, brush, and leaves for a fee of $2 per month during the season. A 48 or 96-gallon yard waste bin is provided with collection taking place on the same day as trash pickup,” the city says.
Extra Yard Pick-up
In addition, the city of South Bend is offering an amnesty period throughout April for extra yard waste pickups.
According to the city: “During the amnesty period, the normal limit of ten 30-gallon biodegradable bags or a cubic yard of tied limbs for a free extra pickup will be waived; however, residents will only be able to request one free extra pickup for April. Additional pickup requests for the month will be charged at $20 per cubic yard.”
For extra pickups, residents need to follow the following guidelines:
- All bags must be brown, biodegradable paper leaf bags and completely void of any trash debris.
- Branches need to be cut to four (4) feet or shorter, be no more than four inches in diameter and bundled securely with twine into manageable bundles.
- All items must be curbside by 6:00 a.m. on trash pickup day.
- Yard waste needs to be away from any cars, containers, mailboxes, trees, or any other obstructions. Items cannot be under any powerlines or branches.
- No plastic of any kind is accepted.
How to sign up
Residents can sign up for the yard waste program at southbendin.gov/yardwaste or call 311. To schedule an extra pickup, residents can submit an online request at southbendin.gov/ywextrapickup or call 311.