The city has announced the awardees who will participate in a business training program along with subsidized commercial space.
According to the city, the Scaling Up South Bend program provides three months of business training for the recipients through 37 Oaks University. The awardees also receive subsidized commercial space at the multi-tenant business space known as the Sibley Center through the end of 2021.
“Small businesses lead the creation of new jobs in our community,” said Santiago Garces, Executive Director of the Department of Community Investment. “We are excited to support this creative and diverse cohort as they scale up,” Garces adds.
The city’s Department of Community Investment is partnering with 37 Oaks University to administer the program.
Who are the awardees?
Below are the fifteen awardees and descriptions of their businesses:
- All Over Creations – Michelle Blanford
Mobile bakery that caters to festivals, wedding and events
- Sugar Rush by Jessica – Jessica Galeano
Homemade treats dipped in chocolate
- Luna and Loki Design – Renee Michalski
Handcrafted genuine leather and vegan earrings
- Importin’ Joes Ethiopian Coffee – Joseph Luten
Local coffee roaster made with raw, green Ethiopian coffee beans
- Mixxture Beauty – Akesma McClown
Handmade, plant-based beauty and pet care products
- Junk to Jazz Wearable Art – Dorothy Carter
Upcycling and recycling home devore and wearable art
- Twisted Craft Junkies – Amanda Pennington
Handmade wooden home décor
- Kami P – Kamika Perry
Custom paints on canvas, metal or mixed media
- Oils of Natura LLC – Connie Crayton
All-natural, vegan skin and hair care products
- Pretty Lips by Sonya – Sonya Phillips
Lashes, lip gloss, body scrubs and more
- Chef John Ward BBQ Sauce & Seasonings – John Ward
Homemade sauces and spices
- Kelly’s Green Living – Kelly Hofferth
Creating art with botanicals and moss
- Sours Enterprises – Tom Sours
Custom and production textile assembly
- South Bend Print Shop – Brent Lacy
Custom screen printing
- Andrew Wilson Smith Sculpture Studio – Andrew Smith
Architectural Sculpture, Ornamental Art, Fine Art Sculpture in stone, cast stone, plaster, and other materials, also mosaic in stone or glass.